Head Start has ended their school year, their last day was Friday. I have a picture of Jeffery in a cap and gown (I'll scan it and post when I get a chance). Jeffery has been in the same class for 2 years, same teacher, same routine, same bus, same everything....2 school years. Next school year is going to be all new. Which worries me. Why? I'll explain.
Jeffery has a few issues...
- He can't stand a lot of loud noises. He covers his ears for the slightest noise that *he* thinks is too loud and tells us to turn it down or to be quiet.
- He needs to stay with a routine, here ate home we do the same thing everyday at the same time...if we change it, it's meltdown (makes it difficult to go places)
- His speech is still quite delayed. There are some things that even Jeff and I can't understand. When we can't understand him he gets mad...cue a meltdown. The speech is even more difficult for strangers to understand, Jeff and I (and a few other people who are around him often) can make out what he says about 90% of the time.
- He has a lot of impulse control. If you do something he don't like, he don't hesitate to hit, scream or kick...either someone or something.
Now, for Kindergarten next year, here is everything that will be new.
- Teachers (who won't understand him all the time)
- Classmates (who also won't understand him)
- Bus (this one will have kids all the way up to at least 5th grade)
- Rules (Head Start was pretty laid back, and in Kindergarten they sit down more and focus on learning)